Followers

Thursday, July 12, 2012

THE MISFITS (1961) "VIDAS REBELDES"


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Misfits is famous for being the last completed film of two cultural icons, Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. It brings the two famous stars into the then current year of 1961. This is a movie about a woman in Reno, Nevada (where else?) who is there to get a divorce. On a whim (she makes up her mind fast!) she drives out to the desert on the day of her divorce with a washed out aging cowboy (Clark Gable) and his buddy (Eli Wallach) as well as her friend (Thelma Ritter). This begins a wistful adventure and sometimes sad relationship for her with the cowboy and his misfit friends (including Montgomery Clift). They grapple with life's issues from divorce, friendship, greed and even cruelty until finally, everyone's character and philosophy of life is laid bare in a showdown over 6 wild horses. This is an underrated cinematic gem...and I can see why. The first time I saw this movie a few years ago I thought it was beautiful and well done but sad and too depressing with a vague ending. Recently, I couldn't pass it by because of it's place in movie history when I saw it on DVD for just $5.88! What a shock I got watching this one on my big screen TV in the original widescreen format in glorious black and white. It was so fantastically fascinating from beginning to end that I watched it twice in a row. Marilyn Monroe is an amazing actress and she brings Rosalyn Tabor to life in this film. She's riveting and not because of her fantastic looks. What a thrill! Clark Gable inhabits his character Gay like he's in his own skin, making him a man you can respect and sympathize with. Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach and Thelma Ritter are all incredible in their roles. I don't know how I missed so much the first time I saw this move. It has humor, pathos and drama. The great John Houston directs it brilliantly! The cinematography is nothing short of breathtaking and the editing is sheer genius. It's an overlooked cinematic gem and I recommend it! Watch it twice if you're don't see the joy and hope in this film the first time. It's there! This crew hs created a near mastepiece. Keep following that same bright star. I rate this a 91/100. Don't miss seing it in the widescreen format on a big screen TV. 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment